Applications are invited for Further Education and Training (FET) Irish Sign Language Teachers
29th July 2022
2 x Part-time Positions
Hours: Part-Time, 21 hours per week
Term: Fixed term contract for 12 months with possibility of extension subject to funding
Salary: €20,000 p.a
Department: Further Education and Training Management
Starting Date: ASAP or 22nd August (subject to notice and availability of successful candidate)
Location: Hybrid (work remotely / IDS Offices), Irish Deaf Society, Deaf Village Ireland, Dublin 7
Submission Deadline: Tuesday 9th August 2022
Interview: Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th August 2022
IDS are hiring two part-time ISL teachers to be part of the Further Education and Training team. The successful candidates for this role will contribute and support the implementation, development and design of our QQI ISL Level 5 and 6 Programmes, ISL online resources, and administrate professional development training calendar for our teaching staff. In addition, they will also assist our teaching staff and learners on our Quality Assurance policies and procedures.
We are looking for someone who has a proactive approach to their work, who is communicative, flexible and committed, with the ability to work alone as well as part of a team.
The successful candidate will work in the Deaf community with an appreciation and respect for Deaf culture and Irish Sign Language
The hours for the position will be 21 hours between 9-5pm.
Teachers can continue to teach their ISL classes in their free time.
The ISL Teacher will be required to:
- Work with management in research, develop and implement the validation of QQI ISL Level 5 & 6
- To support with our Digital Education Officer to create and implement Digital / Online ISL resources
- Manage and assist administration on professional development workshops and events
- Assist teaching staff and learners in their ISL teaching, learning and assessment
- Attend meetings and represent IDS FET on internal and external committees, working groups or other mediums as required.
- Report on progress for agreed projects and initiatives to FET management
- Perform other duties consistent with this role as required.
The successful candidate will have
- Fluent in Irish Sign Language.
- Have experience in adult education teaching Irish Sign Language
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of good practice in teaching, learning and assessments.
- Be familiar with Quality and Qualification Ireland (QQI) and the National Framework of Qualifications
- Excellent administrate and organisational skills and have very good attention to detail.
- Have great communication skills sufficient to maintain effective relations with wide range of contacts.
- Have enthusiasm for new developments and will strive to implement these changes effectively.
- Ability to use own initiative with confidence and use own judgement to problem solving.
- Ability to work calm under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Essential to be able to prepare, coordinate and specific plans, also monitor project timelines and deadlines
- Be IT proficient with strong skills in Office Productivity Tools (e.g., MS Office) and collaboration and training tools such as MS Teams / Zoom and similar modern office solutions.
- Bachelor in Deaf Studies, Trinity College – Sign Language Teaching
- 2-5 years teaching experience desirable
- Familiar with Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR)
Please send a cover letter (save as either word or PDF documents) explaining why you are suitable for the role with your CV by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day on Tuesday 9th August 2022 please make sure to add “ISL Teacher” in the subject field of your email.
Interviews will be on Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th August
If you are unable to attend for interview on this date, please state so clearly in your email.
You can find out more about the Irish Deaf Society at: