English as a Second Language (QQI Level 3) Beginners
- Learn the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to communicate at a basic level in English, socially and in simple work-related tasks under supervision.
- Be offered relevant knowledge, skill and competence to communicate at an introductory level in English.
- Learn about the culture and national holidays of Ireland
- Use introductory vocabulary, to include greetings, introductions, courtesies, basic personal information, numbers 1-100, time, simple directions, making purchases, food and drink
- Basic grammar
- Exchange familiar information, to include personal details such as where they live, people they know and things they have, notions of time and quantity, space and location, lifestyle preferences and responsibilities
- Able to show a breakdown in communication, to include a signal of non-understanding, asking for repetition or slower speech, or Do you speak English?
- Read simple notices, signs and short pieces of text on familiar subjects, to include social and/or work-related information
- Interact in a simple way in English, to include simple exchanges and use of basic phrases, ordering food and drink, and making familiar purchases.
QQI Award Level 3 English as a Second Language is a beginner’s or breakthrough course.
(10 FET credits) It will also enable them to progress to QQI Award Level 4.