International Week of Deaf People 2022
Theme: Building Inclusive Communities for All
Welcome to Irish Sign Language Awareness Week 2022 by Lianne Quigley (Chairperson)
From Monday 19th September to the following Sunday, Deaf people all over the world celebrate "International Week of Deaf People 2022." This is an annual event promoted by the World Federation of the Deaf and the theme this year is "Building Inclusive Communities for All”
In Ireland, led by the Irish Deaf Society, the Deaf Community celebrates this week by hosting "Irish Sign Language Awareness Week". Each day has a different theme and Deaf organisations will have a mix of online and face to face events throughout the week.
You can visit the Irish Deaf Society website for more information and a listing of events at IDS website. See link.
The Irish Deaf Society has asked members of the Deaf community, local Deaf organisations, National Council members and Deaf schools if they would like to organise an event relating to a theme: see below
- Monday 19 September 2022 - Sign Languages in Education
- Tuesday 20 September 2022 - Sustainable economic opportunities for deaf people
- Wednesday 21 September 2022 - Health for All
- Thursday 22 September 2022 - Safeguarding deaf people in times of crisis
- Friday 23 September 2022 - Sign Languages Unite Us!
- Saturday 24 September 2022 - Intersectional Deaf Communities
- Sunday 25 September 2022 - Deaf Leadership for Tomorrow
- Closing Ceremony by IDS Chairperson Lianne Quigley
You can contact IDS Advocacy Team by email – firstname.lastname@example.org or text 086 440 1443 for more information